Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Waffles


Waffles are super easy and this one is one of my absolute favorites.  As a bonus I have included my Pineapple Syrup recipe.  I am always inspired by a memory or what I see on television or from whatever.  I thought how much I love pineapple upside-down cake and why not do it in a waffle so I can have the same flavors and get it much faster!  I have been obsessed with my waffle iron so here is the offspring of my latest inspiration!

  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1 Cup Milk or Water (Coconut Milk works great here!)
  • ¾ Cup Pineapple Juice
  • 1/3 Cup Oil (I used Coconut Oil but you can use whatever you like)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 8 Pineapple Rings (I just get the canned in juice so I can use the juice!)
  • 8 Maraschino Cherries (my favorite part)

Easy Pineapple Syrup

  • ½ Cup Brown Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons 100% Pure Maple Syrup (NOT the fake syrup!)
  • ½ Cup Pineapple Juice

First, put flour, baking powder, milk, juice, oil, eggs, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk until JUST combined…do not over-mix. NOTE: if you prefer to use your favorite waffle recipe feel free…just replace some of the liquid with pineapple juice and add some cinnamon.

Second, place a pineapple ring in the center of each square and then a cherry in the hole of the pineapple.  Spoon the batter over and spread over the iron to cover.  Cook until golden brown and cooked through.    I just cook it until the light turns on…done!

Third, make the syrup while the waffles are cooking by bringing all ingredients to a bubble in a small saucepan or skillet, whisk together, cook until sugar is dissolved (about 1 or 2 minutes).  The syrup will thicken as it cools down. 

Finally, serve one or two waffles on a plate, top with some warm pineapple syrup, and enjoy!

I love this for breakfast or dessert!  You could even top it with some whipped cream or ice cream if you like for a little more indulgence.  It’s very reminiscent of a pineapple upside-down cake but it is MUCH quicker.  Give them a shot and you will be hooked too!      

No comments:

Post a Comment