Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Coconut Bon-Bons



If you love those chocolate covered coconut candy bars like I do you will LOVE this recipe.  It has the flavor with a little less guilt!  This recipe makes 12 pieces.  I have an enormous sweet tooth and I find that just one does the job perfectly for me. 

  • 2 Cups Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
  • ½ Cup 100% pure Honey
  • 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
  • ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
  • ¼ teaspoon Salt
  • 8 ounces Chocolate (for melting)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter

First, process coconut in food processor until there are finer grates (almost like sand).  Add remaining ingredients except for the chocolate in the food processor until combined.

Second, portion the mixture into 12 equal portions.  I find that a cookie scoop works perfectly for this and I like the flat bottoms.  Alternatively you can just roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Place in the freezer for about 15 - 25 minutes. 

Finally, melt the chocolate and butter and whisk to combine.  Dip the coconut rounds in the chocolate and lay on wax paper to harden.  Put them in the fridge for a few minutes to speed up the process.  Enjoy!

I like the reduction in guilt I feel by making some simple substitutions such as honey for sweetener and coconut oil for some healthy fat.  If you prefer you could also substitute vanilla extract for almond.  

2 comments: