Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Spicy Sausage Rice



I love spicy food and this really takes care of that craving for me.  As a dish it is very satisfying, quick, and can all be done in one pan!  If you love veggies like I do then you can feel good about this dish because it is healthy and can be tailored to be as healthful as you like!  The star of this dish is spicy turkey sausage.  I prefer turkey sausage because it is much lower in fat content than most pork sausage.  For me it is not about trying to make everything fat free…it is just trying to replace the bad fats with good fats.  The rice I used here is just some leftover white rice I had on hand, but this is really tasty with any rice you like.  The versatility comes in many aspects.  You could use any kind of sausage you like and even make it mild instead of spicy.  If you like brown rice then substitute brown rice… or any other rice you fancy.  I used fresh veggies but you could use frozen if that is what you have on hand.  Give it a try…it is a lot of flavor punch without weighing you down!

  • 1 Pound Spicy Turkey Sausage
  • 1 Large Onion, diced
  • 1 Jalapeño, Diced (optional)
  • 3 Carrots, cut into circles
  • 2 Large Stalks of Celery, chopped
  • 2 Large Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Thyme (I prefer dried in this dish)
  • ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
  • 1 - 15 oz. Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced
  • ½ Cup Corn Kernels (1 good sized ear)
  • ½ Cup Green Beans, chopped
  • 3 Cups of Cooked Rice
  • Kosher Salt, to taste

First, remove the sausage from casings and brown in oil over high heat.  I use a potato masher to get it all crumbled.  You may want to add the oil after (as needed) if you are using regular sausage

Second, once the sausage is browned add the onions, jalapeño, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, and cayenne to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes.  If you are using regular sausage you may want to drain off some of the fat.

Third, add the tomatoes, corn, and green beans; cook for about another 2 minutes or until the vegetables are desired doneness for you.  I like my veggies to have a little bite left!

Finally, add the rice, stir to combine, and just heat through.  Voila! 

This is a favorite in my house and we eat it just as is but you can serve it in a pita pocket if you want to make it a portable meal or even on some greens if you want to make it a warm salad (it’s great with some vinaigrette).  I think you eat with your eyes first so I like to put it in a ramekin to mold it when I serve it…great for dinner parties that way too!

No comments:

Post a Comment