Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sesame Noodles


I was turned onto sesame noodles many years ago when I was in the military.  I thought it sounded strange at the time because it’s a cold noodle salad that I got from some hole-in-the-wall Chinese food place.  I loved it and got it a lot.  I came up with a version that most closely resembled what I had except I put the veggies in and they did not include that in my noodles.  This way I am getting a more well-rounded meal out of it! 

  • ½ Cup Natural Peanut Butter
  • 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • Juice of 1 Lime (about ¼ Cup or so)
  • 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1” Piece Fresh Ginger, grated
  • 1 Large Garlic Clove, grated
  • 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 Package Soba Noodles (or 1 lb. box of Whole Wheat Spaghetti)
  • 2 Bell Peppers, sliced into strips
  • 2 Scallions, sliced
  • ¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves, rough chopped
  • ¼ Cup Sesame Seeds, toasted
First: whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, olive oil, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes.

Second: cook noodles until tender, drain, and rinse with cold water to cool off. 

Third:  add noodles, peppers, scallions and half of the cilantro to the dressing and toss.

Finally: serve topped with cilantro and sesame seeds…yum!

This is an amazing vegetarian salad but can be easily converted to a full on meat-eaters meal by adding grilled chicken or steak!  I love this as is most of the time and doesn’t make me too full but certainly satisfies.  I love using Soba noodles (buckwheat noodles) as they are light and super healthy but some whole wheat spaghetti will work just fine as well, it just takes a few minutes longer to cook the noodles.  I know this will please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment