Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Turkey Bacon Club Waffles



I have seen a lot of fuss over trying different waffle recipes recently.  I think what didn’t impress me are the ones that basically use the waffle iron like a Panini press…not that creative.  I thought why not have actual waffles…savory waffles…something easy and delicious.  This waffle recipe taste like a toasted club sandwich and I couldn’t be more pleased about how it came out.  The best part is that it is pretty healthy as well.  This is like having a sandwich and the bread is built in…plus you know EVERYTHING that is in it!

  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1 ¾ Cups of Chicken Stock
  • 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
  • 2 Eggs
  • ½ teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
  • 4 – 6 slices Turkey, chopped (the kind for sandwiches)
  • ½ - 1 Cup of Sharp Cheddar
  • 4 slices Cooked Bacon, chopped
  • Shredded Romaine Lettuce
  • 2 Large Tomatoes, seeded and diced

Crazy Good Yogurt Dressing:

  • ¼ Cup Greek Yogurt
  • 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tablespoons Buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • ½ teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper

First, put flour, baking powder, chicken stock, oil, eggs, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until combined.  Add the turkey, cheese, and bacon, stir to combine.  I chop the meat nice and small so there are little bits throughout the whole waffle.

Second, cook the waffle as you would any other waffles using about 1/3 cup of batter per square…see instructions for your iron.    

Third, while the waffles are cooking make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a bowl and whisking thoroughly…that’s it!  Toss lettuce and tomato with about 2 Tablespoons of dressing just before serving.  I love this dressing and sometimes add a little grated Parmesan to it!

Finally, serve one or two waffles on a plate, top with dressed lettuce and tomato, and eat!

I find this recipe so amazingly satisfying that just one is sufficient for me.  I love that I can use whole wheat flour and you wouldn’t even know it!  As a bonus it is a complete meal with the addition of some nice veggies on top.  My favorite parts of the waffle are the crispy parts where the cheese melts…yum!  One tip would be to make a big batch and keep them in the freezer and or refrigerator.  You can absolutely make these ahead and just pop them in the toaster when you are ready to eat them...convenient?  I think so!  ;-)    

2 comments:

  1. you have any recipes for sweet waffles?

    essenspass.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I am working on one as we speak! I'll post it tomorrow so you don't have to wait forever! ;-)

    ReplyDelete