Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Lightened-Up Chicken and Waffles



Most people are familiar with chicken and waffles, or at least heard of it.  I love chicken and waffles but I don’t really make it because it’s really not great for you...until now.  I was so happy with the way my OMG Oven Fried Chicken came out that I decided to give it a healthy re-vamp!  If you have never tried it you must give it a shot…if you have had it before you NEED to have this version.  It hits all the same sweet and savory spots but is much healthier.  Typically you would have this with maple syrup (the fake kind) but I prefer it with either 100% pure maple syrup or honey.  

  • 1 Recipe of OMG Oven Fried Chicken (or your favorite fried chicken)
  • ½ Cup 100% Pure Maple Syrup or Honey (I really love honey with this one!)

Cornbread Waffles:

  • ¾ Cup Cornmeal
  • ¾ Cup Flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 ½ Cups Buttermilk
First: prepare the chicken and make the waffles while that is cooking.

Second: whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, and buttermilk until just combined.

Third:  cook the waffles according to your waffle iron instructions

Finally: serve it up how you like, I am good with one waffle and one piece of chicken cut in half and stacked…drizzle with syrup or honey and EAT!

I like the OMG Oven Fried Chicken with breadcrumbs for this one.  I mentioned before that I make my own bread crumbs and this is one PERFECT use for them!  Just save your money and throw some aging bread in your food processor and pulse until you have crumbs! Works great and I prefer them over the stale crap in the store.  Anyway, try this recipe…it is so good!  That classic savory/sweet combination is the highlight and the texture of the crispy, juicy chicken and savory cornbread waffles…YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment