Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Easy Naan Flatbread



Naan is one of my favorite breads to make and eat!  I have seen it in the store but feel ridiculous buying it when it is so easy to make.  You can even freeze it and have it later if you want to make a lot!  In this recipe it is a bonus if you have a food processor with a dough blade (that’s what I used) or a mixer with a dough hook.  If not it will just take a little longer. 

  • 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons Yeast
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • ¾ Cup Buttermilk
  • 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Garlic Clove, crushed

First: put flour, yeast, salt, buttermilk and oil in food processor or bowl of mixer; turn on and let it go for 3 – 5 minutes, until the dough looks nice and smooth.  NOTE: if you are doing this without the aid of a machine just mix everything together and knead for 7 – 10 minutes.

Second: place the dough ball in an oiled bowl (turning to coat), cover with plastic wrap, and set it in a warm place for 1 ½ hours. 

Third: take the risen dough out of the bowl and onto a cutting board; cut into 4 pieces, roll into a ball and let it sit for about 5 minutes or so.

Fourth: place the butter, oil and garlic in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
 
Finally: heat pan, skillet, or grill (I like cast iron for this but use whatever you have); roll or stretch each dough ball to about ¼ inch thick and cook for about 2 minutes per side; IMMEDIATELY brush with garlic butter.  NOTE: just peek underneath and check for a nice dark brown color.

I don’t even think you can mess this recipe up.  It is so easy and the worst part is waiting for the dough to rise.  I used a yeast packet I had for months and it still came out awesome!  I had to force myself to not eat it all, THAT’S how good it is!

Bonus Tip:  If you don’t have buttermilk and/or don’t want to buy it there is an alternative solution.  I learned this many years ago and it works THE SAME!  Take a cup of milk and add a tablespoon of white vinegar, allow it to sit for a couple of minutes.  That’s it!  I just did it like this and dumped a couple of tablespoons until I had ¾ Cup.  Easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment