Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Spicy Pink Beans with Smoked Sausage


Can I just say…I love my slow cooker!  It’s more about the convenience for me than anything else really.  Nothing makes my life easier than throwing stuff in the slow cooker, running around all day, and coming back to a cooked meal!  Love it.  This is my take on sort of a red beans and rice…Only I eat it with rice, on polenta, as a stew, etc.  You get the point.  Anyway…give it try…it’s awesome and SUPER cheap to make.

  • 1 Bag of Beans (I like Pink Beans but any kind will do)
  • 1 Smoked Chicken Sausage (Looks like Kielbasa…you could also use that if you prefer)
  • 2 Carrots, sliced
  • 2 Stalks of Celery, sliced
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, smashed and peeled
  • 2 Tablespoons of Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
Toppings:
  • Tomato, diced
  • Scallions, chopped
  • Sweet Bell Peppers, diced
  • Queso Fresco, crumbled (feel free to omit or use whatever you like)

First, soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover. 

Second, the next morning drain the beans and put them in the slow cooker along with the sausage, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and seasonings.  Add 5 – 6 cups of water.  Turn the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours. 

Finally, serve over rice and top with a little bit of each of the toppings.  I highly recommend this step as it gives some fantastic freshness to slow cooked food!  Enjoy!

This couldn't be easier…well, actually it could.  If you want to try a quick stove top version just use 3 or 4 cans of beans instead of the dry beans and water; then cook it through on the stove top.  I've done that as well and it is just as good!  This is a great dish that could feed at least 6 people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment