Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan



Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite dishes.  I love it with all of the flavor and textures involved.  This version is MUCH healthier and hits all the same spots.  I like to use polenta instead of pasta to keep it a little lighter along with not breading and frying the chicken.  I don’t feel like I’m missing out…in fact, I feel like I’m treating myself!

  • 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, pounded to about ½” thick
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Large Tomatoes, diced (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
  • 1 small or ½ Large Onion
  • 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano
  • 4 Tablespoons shredded Mozzarella
  • 4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 Tube Prepared Polenta

First, heat the oil in a nonstick pan on high.  Slice the polenta into 1” slices and cook both sides until crisp and lightly golden; set aside.

Second, cook the chicken for about 2 – 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through.  Set the chicken aside, turn the heat down to medium-high, and sauté the onion and garlic until softened.  Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste.    

Finally, stir in the oregano and place the chicken back in the pan.  Top each piece of chicken with 1 Tablespoon of each cheese.  Place 2 slices of polenta on each plate, top with chicken, and spoon sauces over.  Finish off with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.  Enjoy!

Not bad, right?  How often can you make Chicken Parmesan in one pan?!  This version tastes so fresh and light but amazingly satisfying.  This is exactly what I strive for when I want to lighten up a favorite dish but not sacrifice flavor.  I hope you give it a try…you will be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment