Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blackberry Smoothie



Everyone likes a smoothie, at least from time to time.  I love smoothies almost as a complete meal replacement or just as part of a meal.  The great thing about smoothies is they are so versatile and so easy to make.  If you want to make a full meal out of it you will just need some protein and fiber.  Add protein powder, tofu, or yogurt for protein.  For fiber the, PERFECT addition would be psyllium powder (husks).  I do like to supplement with smoothies because of the fact that I love to eat.  It keeps me feeling less guilty, less bloated, and more healthful! (Note: this recipe is for one pretty good sized smoothie…feel free to double it if you are sharing!)

  • 1 Large Banana (for sweetness and thickness)
  • 1 Cup Frozen Blackberries
  • 1 Cup Milk (I use soy, coconut, etc…whatever I have on hand)
  • ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
First: add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and thick. 

Finally: drink up!  It’s that easy…the hardest part of this is cleaning your blender.

How simple is that?!  I know it is not much, but that’s the point!  I think it is important to think about health and what we are eating.  If you like to indulge from time to time as I do then you will benefit greatly from incorporating smoothies into your life OFTEN.  I try to have at least one smoothie a day.  I prefer tofu or yogurt for protein if I am going that route rather than protein powder…I feel it is more natural and less processed so easier for your body to utilize it. 

If you are having a smoothie for breakfast and do not want to add the extras then you should get your protein and fiber another way.  An excellent way is to have a slice of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter…a low-carb way to complete a meal is to just get your protein – have a stick of string cheese or a hard-boiled egg!  Use your imagination and stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment