Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Pineapple Chicken



Chicken, chicken, chicken….am I right?  It seems so boring sometimes.  Well, I love chicken and I love the fact that I am not loading up on fat by eating chicken breast more often.  The problem is that people tend to overcook chicken breast which makes it dry and tasteless.  For me the key is thinner pieces cooked just right!  I was playing with flavors and thought “I love orange chicken when I have Chinese food so why not something similar yet different”…here is my take that hits all the same taste buds! 

  • 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 1 – 2 Tablespoons of Flour
  • 1 Cup of Pineapple Juice (100% juice)
  • 1 Cup of Chicken Stock
  • 1 teaspoon of Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon of Salt (or to taste)
  • ¼ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Cup of Pineapple Tidbits
  • 2 Tablespoons Flat Leaf Parsley, minced

First, grill or sauté the chicken until it is JUST done.  Remove from pan and set aside to rest. 

Second, heat olive oil until hot and add flour to make a roux.  Let it bubble for a few seconds and then slowly whisk in the juice and chicken broth.  Mix in the cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Bring to a bubble for a minute, add pineapple tidbits and chicken to heat through and coat chicken.    

Finally, plate chicken and then top with desired amount of pineapple sauce with tidbits included.  I prefer to serve this along side a nice salad that is lightly and simply dressed with vinaigrette.  Bon appétit!

As you can see this dish takes not time at all and is very tasty.  Adding chicken stock to the pineapple keeps the sweetness level down.  I like my sauce thick but you can also cut back on the flour to make a little thinner sauce if you like.    

No comments:

Post a Comment