Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mediterranean Couscous Chicken Salad



This salad is inspired by Mediterranean flavors.  I love all of these flavors and they go together amazingly!  This salad is good for any time of the year.  I even like it during the colder months because it is just as good warm as it is cold.  Once you try this salad you will make it a million times!

  • 2 Cups Cooked Couscous (I prefer Israeli but you can use whatever you like)
  • 2 Cups Chicken Breast, diced
  • 1 English Cucumber, diced
  • 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
  • ½ Cup Chopped Olives (a couple of handfuls)
  • 8 ounces Cherry Tomatoes (I used heirloom but any kind will do)
  • 6 ounces Feta Cheese
Dressing
  • 1 Lime (juice and zest)
  • ½ Cup Olive Oil
  • ½ Cup Fresh Mint, minced (seems like a lot but it is amazing and mellowed by the lime juice)
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1 Clove Garlic, grated
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper (I like a lot)

First: combine the couscous, chicken, cucumber, celery, olives, tomatoes, and feta in a large bowl.  I rinse the couscous with cold water if I’m serving it cold, otherwise just add it warm. 

Second: combine the lime juice and zest, olive oil, mint, mustard, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; whisk together. 

Finally: add the dressing to large bowl and combine.  Enjoy! 

This salad is so simple.  You can use whatever chicken you have on hand.  I always have poached chicken so that is what I used.  Rotisserie chicken is excellent in this and gives it another dimension of flavor.  The mint in this is my favorite part.  You could use Kalamata olives if you prefer, but I had pimento stuffed green olives on hand so that is what I used.  It’s a good throw together meal that fits into a weeknight schedule nicely.  A definite must try!    

No comments:

Post a Comment