Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu Mac'n'Cheese



I don’t think it’s possible to have too many mac’n’cheese recipes so here’s one of my absolute favorites!  Chicken Cordon Bleu is a great dish but not the quickest to put together.  Here is a pasta dish packed with flavor and all of the guilty pleasure you can handle.  What makes it better is it all comes together on the stovetop!

  • ½ Pound of Rigatoni (or whatever pasta you like)
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • ½ Cup Ham, diced (I just get a ¼” slice from the deli)
  • 3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
  • 3 Cups Milk (I used 2%)
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt (or to taste)
  • 2 Cups Swiss Cheese, Shredded
  • 1 Cooked Chicken breast, diced small (or shredded)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (I use whole wheat)

First: cook the rigatoni until it is just shy of al dente.

Second: heat the olive oil and butter in a medium pot, sauté ham for a minute, add flour and cook for a minute, and then slowly add milk. NOTE: I find a whisk makes easy work out of this process to keep the lumps out!
                                                                                                   
Third: once the milk begins to thicken add the cheese and salt; taste for seasoning at this point; add the pasta and stir to combine. 

Fourth: heat the 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saut̩ pan and add the breadcrumbs; cook until nice and toasted, about 1 Р2 minutes.

Finally: stir the chicken into to pasta; serve topped with some of the breadcrumbs. ENJOY!

Who is not going to love this?!  This is so decadent and perfect paired with some veggies on the side.  This is one of those dishes that I feel like just going all out and not worrying too much about calories!

BONUS TIP:  I make my own breadcrumbs at home.  I take bread and process it into crumbs in the food processor.  I often get the day old bread that they discount at the grocery store and stick it in the freezer.  This bread is good for toasting if you want to use it for sandwiches and even better as breadcrumbs.  I don’t bother toasting them; I just keep them on hand in the freezer and use them as I need them!


No comments:

Post a Comment