Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hummus and Veggie Pasta



Here is another use for hummus.  I love hummus and try to find different uses for it as much as possible.  I happened to have some leftover in my fridge so I thought this would make a great pasta sauce.  Now with pasta I keep portions low and nutritional value high as to not go overboard.  I found this mini bowtie (farfalle) pasta that was made with tomato and carrot. This pasta dish is cheesy with a TON of flavor going on and packed with veggies!  It’s pretty tasty so I highly recommend it!

  • 1 Pound Small Pasta
  • ½ Cup Pasta
  • ½ Cup Parmesan and/or Romano (I like a mix)
  • 2 Cups Frozen Mixed Veggies (I used a mix of carrots, corn, and green beans)
  • 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
  • ¼ Cup chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper

First, bring a pot of water to a boil and add a couple of tablespoons of salt to dissolve.  Cook the pasta until al dente; put the sun-dried tomatoes (already chopped) in a bowl and add about a cup of the pasta water and let it sit.  Reserve another cup of pasta water and drain pasta.

Second, add the hummus to the pot along with the sun-dried tomatoes WITH soaking water.  Whisk to combine and add some fresh ground pepper.  Cook for about a minute to allow the veggies to thaw and cook a bit.

Third, add the pasta back to the pot and combine thoroughly.  Turn the heat off.  Add a little of the reserved water if the pasta is too dry for your liking. 

Finally, serve the pasta with a little grated cheese and black pepper.  ENJOY!

This pasta dish came together in less than a half hour!  It is a great weeknight meal and all in one pot!  Sometimes I like this for a light lunch as is or if I want something even more substantial I might throw in some chicken and/or garbanzo beans.  Either way it is really tasty so give it a try!    

No comments:

Post a Comment